Delivering In Uncertain Times
With the impacts of COVID-19 still becoming clear, communities, organizations and governments are struggling to adapt. Facing an uncertain future, now is the time to clarify our collective purpose, strengthen organizational cultures, and design more effective and resilient programs, services and policies.
Our team has extensive experience at the forefront of online approaches to engagement, service delivery and organizational change. Here are a few of the virtual and online services we offer to support your critical projects and continued services delivery.
Outreach & Engagement
At this time of physical distancing, face-to-face public input tactics like workshops and tabling are not possible. Thankfully, digital engagement can work extremely well. We have organized successful engagement processes, many of which were online-to-offline or entirely online. For agencies and organizations working hard to continue important engagement processes, we can help with:
- Reimagining your engagement strategy – Developing outreach & engagement plans that are sensitive to this challenging time and leverage online tools effectively.
- Inclusive outreach tactics – Leveraging SMS to reach underrepresented communities and/or using video and social media to expand reach and connect more authentically with audiences.
- Digital feedback & collaboration tools – Collecting feedback via online (multilingual) surveys, brainstorming or consensus building via robust digital platforms, and hosting virtual meetings (complete with presentations, Q&A, live polling, and small group discussions).
Do you need to design (or redesign) a program to respond to recent changes? Are you working to move formerly in-person or paper processes online? We can help you remotely using the tools and tactics of service design. Here are some key elements we facilitate remotely:
- User journeys – Map current processes to help see the experience from the perspective of your “end-user” and identify key areas for improvement.
- Brainstorming & ideation workshops – Move from a broad set of ideas to a concrete definition of key challenges and context-specific prototypes of potential solutions.
- User feedback sessions – Listen closely to your audience to understand gaps, pain points and assumptions that can lead to better designs and improved service delivery.
Our popular “Learning Lab” program, a cohort-based, hands-on introduction to human-centered design where cross-departmental teams work on real world problems over multiple weeks, is also now available as a virtual offering.
Change Management & Organizational Culture
The disruption of COVID-19 is forcing many organizations to launch new tools, processes and services, both for staff and external stakeholders. While these deployments have happened quickly, each requires careful planning and clear communication for long-term sustainability. Our experience in change management and organizational culture can support these initiatives:
- Strategic plan calibration and realignment – when faced with great uncertainty, it’s important that our plans also be adaptive to meet changing needs. We’ll show you how.
- Business process improvement – We’ll help you visual current and future processes for getting work done – now and in the future.
- Communications plans – Need to deliver tough information to colleagues or constituents? We’ll help you craft it from an empathetic lens.
- Documentation and training – no change initiative can last without documenting what worked, what could be improved, and ensuring people have what they need to get work done.
- User testing – we can help you conduct remote user testing of your new program or service.
Our trainings are hands-on, interactive, customized for you, and are often designed to culminate in actionable next steps, enabling participants to immediately apply what they learn. Below are some of our most sought-after trainings that we have found particularly useful as our clients respond to the impacts of COVID-19:
- Human-centered design – An introduction to the tools, methodologies and mindsets we use in all our project work. This process helps individuals, teams and organizations better define challenges to support practical, efficient and creative problem-solving. It is designed to be deployed rapidly to fit evolving needs for both internal and external stakeholders.
- Digital community engagement – Many communities are scrambling to stay connected. We’ll share what we’ve learned over the years about creating meaningful public participation online. Learn ways to leverage digital tools that collect key inputs from the community, whether you’re sourcing ideas, identifying priorities, or building consensus.
- Change management in times of crisis – The art and science of managing organizational change requires a more nuanced and human-centered approach, especially in these uncertain times. We’ll help you strategize how to navigate “the new normal” in your organization.